Professional organizers aren’t quite as widely known (yet) as other service providers. So it’s perfectly natural to have questions about what professional organizers do, which services are available, and how the process works.
In the area below, you’ll find answers to the questions people most often ask professional organizers like me. Of course, it’s entirely possible that you have a question that I don’t answer here; in that case, just send it to me via the contact form on this page!
How do professional organizers help people?
- Disorganization leads to higher stress levels and reduced productivity. Professional organizers work with you to put processes in place that align with your goals, bringing order, peace, and productivity to your life.
What should I expect when hiring a Professional Organizer?
- Professional organizers are committed to helping you get to a better place in your life, so know that you won’t be judged for where you are now. Orderly Manner clients are treated with respect, dignity, and kindness…and all information is considered confidential unless you advise me otherwise.
What’s the in-home consultation like?
- During your in-home consultation, candidly express your goals, concerns, and frustrations. Be brutally honest; professional organizers are there to listen. From my own experience as a professional organizer, I can tell you that the more information I gather, the easier it is to put an organizational process in place that will meet your needs and accomplish your goals.
Do professional organizers want me to clean my home or office before my in-home consultation?
- Believe it or not, trying to clean and organize your home or office before a professional organizer visits is a really bad idea. I want to see how your space looks and works on a typical day…I don’t want to see it in its ideal state. Think of it this way: Would you go to a doctor and only tell him/her a few of your symptoms (or worse, try to mask what’s wrong)? No way!
What do I need to do to prepare for the project date?
- Get plenty of rest, eat a good meal, and dress comfortably. It’s worth it in the end, but this day may likely involve many hours of tough decision-making and physical work. The good news? You’re not alone, and I’ll work with you every step of the way to meet your goals/needs.
Do I need to be present for the project?
- Ideally, yes. Professional organizers work side-by-side with you at your own pace to create a system that meets your needs. It is crucial to get your input, since it is your home or office that is getting organized. You’ll probably also want to answer “keep or toss” questions in areas that need to be decluttered.
How long with the project take?
- Each job is unique. The scope and duration of the project will depend on your budget, the size of the space, the number of items in the space, how many people will be helping, how quickly you can make decisions, your motivation, your willingness to do homework in between sessions, and your determination to make the necessary changes to improve your life.
I have a friend or family member who needs help with organizing. Advice on how to approach the topic?
- This can be a delicate matter, and it’s a very personal one. A person needs to be ready (and willing) to accept help. You might suggest to him/her that professional organizers are a great way to find order and declutter. As an organizer, I only work with the person who hires me, and my objective is to meet his/her goals and needs. We can organize and declutter your friend or family member’s home, of course. But if he/she isn’t ready for the help, there’s a good chance that things will soon revert back to how things were before I arrived.
Do I have to get rid of my things?
- Professional organizers will not force you to get rid of your things, but they will help you work through the process of considering which items you need to best meet your goals. During this process, I may suggest that you consider donating or discarding items that are not needed or regularly used. There is only so much physical space in your home. So why store items that you don’t use or like? You may have to make some tough decisions about what to keep, but in the end it is VERY freeing to let go of some of the clutter.
How can professional organizers help with a move or relocation?
- Moving can be overwhelming, because many decisions need to be made in relatively in a short period of time. Professional organizers can help you sort through your items and eliminate the things you no longer need; this saves money, since you won’t pay for these items to be moved. Check out my moving services page for additional information; among other things, I can also help sort, pack, and label your items for easy retrieval once you settle into your new home.
How can professional organizers help people manage their time?
- Professional organizers can help with your goals, to-do lists, calendar, priorities, and communication among family members and co-workers. Whether you need time management in your home or office, I can help you be more efficient and productive—visit my time management page to learn more.
How can professional organizers help businesses and office environments?
- Professional organizers can help with paper management, filing systems, computer files, organizing your priorities, and managing emails. Truthfully, anything that needs to be categorized, simplified, or filed is fair game…and once we’re done, you’ll notice gains in efficiency and productivity. I have a business degree and lots of experience in business/office settings, so I look forward to learning more about your line of work; visit my office organization page for more details.
What type of payment is acceptable?
- Cash or check (made payable to Orderly Manner).